Silja Swaby, half Jamaican, half Finnish, is a marine biologist and author. Funded by Arts Council England, she has won competitions, and been placed in prizes and awards. She is working on a series of futuristic thrillers, featuring a female biologist whose quiet academic life takes a drastic turn. Silja has taken creative writing courses at Cambridge University and more recently Yale University, USA.

Silja tutors writers, gives workshops, and provides a critique service. She is happily unmarried and lives in deepest Somerset, UK.


Silja Swaby is pronounced Sil-yah Sway-bee.

February 06, 2009

An alternative to eating carpet?

My latest acquisition from the library was by Gotham’s Writers’ Workshop. Writing Fiction. A Practical Guide for New York’s Acclaimed Creative Writing School, edited by Alexander Steele. The chapter titled Revision: Real writers revise, identified the difficulty of editing your own work and I know I’m far too close to mine. It goes on to suggest printing out your manuscript in a different, but readable, font. I’d eat carpet if I thought it would help, so I’m off to give it a go.

No comments:

Pot luck Writing tips